Welcome

OFFICIALLY CLOSED!
Please see last post for breeder reference information.

FROZEN SEMEN STILL AVAILABLE
Collected at OC Flock Management Bowden Alberta
https://www.ocflock.com/Katahdin.html

Breeder Reference - CLRC
http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/query.cgi?_association=30


I am Dee Avery and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit this KATAHDIN blog.

AVERY's Katahdin's dedicates our entire business focus on producing 100% purebred Katahdins that are Excellent Representatives of the Breed Standards


We welcome and promote farm visits to view our entire flock. Bio-security and No-Smoking protocols are in place.

We are located near Haynes, Alberta
(30 klms east of Red Deer on Hwy 11). 403-318-3590



(SINGLE Click on Photos to ENLARGE)

Friday, March 9, 2012

My Opinion of Shearwell Tags

LOVE THESE TAGS! 
Right from the first lamb, tagging has not been a great experience for me. It broke my heart to see brand new lambs with great big tags and floppy ears. I also don't like to see animals with a whole bunch of tags, or tears in their ears from improperly installed tags or infections. I know, I know.....they are animals, BUT when they are MY animals, I I get to choose how they are treated. The old pink metal CSIPs were a freaking nightmare for infection. So when Shearwell RFID CSIP tags became available, I  jumped all over them. They are extremely expensive with check off and all, but I liked them so much, I now use Shearwell Non-RFID with my farm letters & numbers pre-printed on them. This year the only two tags going into the sheep will be Shearwell. One white farm tag and one yellow CSIP tag. Also, the tagger is light weight, easy for small hands and easy on the wallet.  Although I keep some blank ones on hand for replacements, I have only used one and it is because I screwed up and put the wrong number in the wrong lamb. These tags stay put.
Oh and if you put it too deep in the ear, you can cut the loop and then you have a dangle tag....that stays put!   These are a win, win, win tag!


1 comment:

  1. I agree on the tags that they are great! Loss is significantly less than other tags. That said we have had lost 2 of the RFID tags on our sheep. We have been using those RFID for our sheep from the start as we knew the pink little razor blades were going away so chose to spend the money on the right tags from the start. We do love them!! Didn't know you could get them personalized with farm letters though (the none RFID). Interesting.

    ReplyDelete