Welcome

OFFICIALLY CLOSED!
Please see last post for breeder reference information.

FROZEN SEMEN STILL AVAILABLE
Collected at OC Flock Management Bowden Alberta
https://www.ocflock.com/Katahdin.html

Breeder Reference - CLRC
http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/query.cgi?_association=30


I am Dee Avery and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit this KATAHDIN blog.

AVERY's Katahdin's dedicates our entire business focus on producing 100% purebred Katahdins that are Excellent Representatives of the Breed Standards


We welcome and promote farm visits to view our entire flock. Bio-security and No-Smoking protocols are in place.

We are located near Haynes, Alberta
(30 klms east of Red Deer on Hwy 11). 403-318-3590



(SINGLE Click on Photos to ENLARGE)

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Katahdins & Multiple Births - My Preference

When selling breeding stock, I have often seen preferences for ewes/rams that throw more than twins. IN MY OPINION, twins are the best case scenario for our flock. Katahdin Mom's are very capable of handling triplets, but my observation and record keeping tell me that there is always 1 of those three that will not do as well as the other two. Also, with twins I have less management. I don't have to follow the family around for the first two weeks to make sure all three are getting enough to drink or "supplement feed" IF one isn't getting enough. In some operations any more than twins get stripped off at birth, bottle fed or grafted onto a ewe with only one or no lambs. That tells me these operations understand the power of two. 
The main indicator for me that twins are the best is....
 Ewes have TWO nipples (simple math isn't it?)   .
(Note: Some ewes have more than two nipples. It is a genetic defect & we cull these animals)
This ewe DID NOT have quads....she is being bugged by two sets of twins, while she tries to have her own....twins!

No comments:

Post a Comment