Welcome

OFFICIALLY CLOSED!
Please see last post for breeder reference information.

FROZEN SEMEN STILL AVAILABLE
Collected at OC Flock Management Bowden Alberta
https://www.ocflock.com/Katahdin.html

Breeder Reference - CLRC
http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/query.cgi?_association=30


I am Dee Avery and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit this KATAHDIN blog.

AVERY's Katahdin's dedicates our entire business focus on producing 100% purebred Katahdins that are Excellent Representatives of the Breed Standards


We welcome and promote farm visits to view our entire flock. Bio-security and No-Smoking protocols are in place.

We are located near Haynes, Alberta
(30 klms east of Red Deer on Hwy 11). 403-318-3590



(SINGLE Click on Photos to ENLARGE)

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Haylage is now on the Menu

We only have 22 quality bales for this year, and I need to keep at least 5 of them for lambing. After shopping the area for the last 2 months, I have learned again this year that a lot of  hay producers don't even know the quality of the hay they put up (don't test), but seem to think it is worth the same price as the hay that is being exported. How do I know the quality isn't there, I take the time to go out (into their fields) sample 10% of the bales and send the hay for testing. Some years I pay for 4-6 hay tests @ 60.00/test. (plus all the driving around the countryside and into Red Deer (30 klms) each time).  
I needed to stop this madness. A friend and fellow Katahdin producer has used haylage for years and swears by it. Then I learned that the guy that puts up his fields lives just across the river from me. This guy stands behind his product 100%, has feed value tests, and delivered it to my yard within 24 hours of my call and all at a price that fit my budget. Thank You Mr. Fox! 
The sheep did not go crazy on it because they have been on hot feed since Oct.01, but they sure didn't ignore it either. Time will tell.
Bales weigh 1400-1500 lbs


Ram Lambs were all over it

Ewe Lambs were already up to their eyeballs

No comments:

Post a Comment